1. Leadership requires personal mastery –” Personal mastery is our ability in any given moment — particularly in moments of stress, conflict or challenge — to show up and respond with our best selves, with our most creative and flexible capacity and strengths.” (Hughes, 2019)
2. Leadership is about values –”if we’re transparent we know where we’re heading, we reduce stress and have clearly defined goals and values-based rules to work and lead by.” (Sime, 2019)
3. Leadership is about service-“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”
-John Quincy Adams
4. Leadership is about people and relationships –”At the end of the day, the effort of a single person (you) doesn’t scale well. To achieve remarkable results, you must rely on those around you. Unfortunately, people don’t work effectively together by default. As a result, a large chunk of your effort as a leader should be spent on relationships in order to achieve the results you’re looking for. “(Greiner, 2015)
5. Leadership is contextual –”…leaders need to figure out the position that they – and their organizations – are in and decide what’s most important for them to do, given that context.” (Douglas, 2017)
6. Leadership is about the management of meaning –Nurse leaders see a vision of the future, plan how to accomplish that vision and inspire and motivate those around them to work toward the end goal.
7. Leadership is about balance- “An effective leader must also be both present as well as future focused. Planning ahead too much would leave day-to-day tasks unattended to or sloppy, and focusing solely on the here and now would leave the team without a direction.” (Janes)
8. Leadership is about continuous learning and improvement –Nurses demonstrate leaderhsip by participating in continuing education courses and by subscribing to and studying current nursing literature.
9. Leadership is about effective decision making –Nurse leaders demonstrate good leadership when many opinions and possible circumstances are considered when making decisions.
10. Leadership is a political process –”As a leader, the political climate of the company depends on how you treat such situations when they arise.” ( Grace Ferguson
11. Leadership is about modeling – Nurse leaders are most effective when they are willing to do anything that would be asked of the staff, and are willing to help staff where needed.
12. Leadership is about integrity -‘To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity.” – Douglas Adams